Kazan is the capital of the Republic of Tatarstan, which is sometimes referred to as the third capital of Russia. In 2005, Kazan celebrated its 1,000th anniversary. It has always been one of the main economic, cultural, sporting and scientific areas of the country. It was ranked No. 4 for quality of life in Russia, as it is safe, has a well-developed infrastructure and is a city of many faiths.
Being one of the cultural centres of Russia, Kazan has a lot to offer. Visit the Kazan Kremlin, which is featured on the UNESCO World Heritage list. Additionally, Kul Sharif Mosque, the Tatarstan Museum of Natural History, and the Hermitage Kazan are among other sights worth visiting.
Kazan has modern sports facilities allowing the city to host some of the major events of the sporting world. In July 2013, Kazan hosted the Summer Universiade, an international sport and culture festival that takes place every two years, which boosted Kazan’s popularity worldwide. In 2014, tournaments such as the INTERSPORT European Championships and the World Fencing Championships were all staged in Kazan. In the summer of 2015, Kazan hosted the 16th FINA World Championships.
Kazan is not an obvious study-destination in Russia but it does not make it less appealing.
If you are planning to take long-term programme like General Russian or Gap Year in Russia, combined with either St Petersburg or Moscow,
Kazan would be a great place to study.
If you choose to study in Kazan, EBC recommends Kazan Federal University.
• KFU is one of the top-ranked universities in Russia.
• Large student population – 46,000 (2,000 are international).
• Major scientific research centre with more than 80 research laboratories.
• More than 50 student unions and clubs.
• Being influenced by the East and the West, Kazan is known for its diversity and culture.
Watch this video to learn more about the city of Kazan and Kazan Federal University.
Courses available in KFU:
- General Russian
– Specially designed course for those who want to study Russian for academic purposes.
– 24 academic hours/week of classes with 20 hours devoted to language teaching and 4 hours’ worth of seminars covering subjects about Russian culture and history. 1 academic hour = 45 minutes.
– Small groups (10-12 students) guarantee progress whilst also allowing you to make friends.
– Depending on your entrance test results you will be placed in a group of your language level.
– Fixed semester dates (it is possible to finish the programme before Christmas). You can study for semester 1 only, semester 2 only or the entire academic year.
- Pre-university preparation
– Programme designed for for training international students with limited or no Russian language proficiency.
– 30 academic hours per week.
– Training in basic disciplines such as mathematics, biology, chemistry etc.
– Upon successful completion of the program participants receive the state certificate of test of Russian as a foreign language (TORFL-1 – first degree TORFL test or TORFL-2) as well as a certificate from Kazan Federal University listing the courses and hours take.
- Summer course:
Summer programme includes Russian language classes, seminars and excursions.
Programme dates in 2018: 01/08/2018 – 26/08/2018.
- Old dormitories
– Room shared between 2-3 people
– 8 rooms on the floor
– Shared kitchen and 2 toilets on the floo
Cost: RUB 200 pcm
- New dormitories («Universiade Village»)
-Rooms shared between 3-4 people
Cost: RUB 2,500 pcm
- Off-campus apartments
-One or two-rooms apartments
-You would need to pay a refundable deposit (one-month rent)
Cost: from RUB 25,000 (depends on location, size and equipment)
- Host family
– Single room
– Shared facilities
– Breakfast included
– Additional services provided as agreed with family
Cost: from RUB 20,000 pcm; payable directly to the family upon arrival
Place note: during summer course you can only stay with a Host family!
- Application deadline: two months before the program start date for General Russian and Summer course; three months before the start for University preparation course.
- Students enrolled on General Russian course are able to attend lessons in various subjects together with Russian students.
Programme start dates: 1 September 2019, 1 February 2019 (from February 1 – no beginners; except for groups of no less 5 persons – on group applications)
- One semester programme: RUB 71,200
- Two semester programme: RUB 142,000
University preparation course
- Programme start date: 1 September 2019
- Application deadline date: 1 July 2019
- Price for 10-month programme: RUB 96,000
- TORFL test: from RUB 5,500
- Programme dates in 2018: 01/08/2018 – 26/08/2018
- Price (including the application fee): RUB 27,600
Please see the “Accommodation” section.
See what our clients have to say
In general, I had a wonderful time… Saint Petersburg is beautiful and it was great to be able to explore this city.
The university is brilliant and the classes so far have been really useful, the university have worked with us to find the most suitable class for our level of Russian. The flat that we have moved into is beautiful. Everything has run so smoothly. We have made great friends and I know already that I am not going to want to leave St Petersburg.
I felt very supported throughout the application process. Alena was fantastic.
The EBC Consultancy was extremely helpful and thorough with their information and guidance prior to and throughout my study abroad in Russia. They assisted in solving any problems I had with visa/study/general enquiries efficiently and promptly.
Thanks for all of your help throughout my time abroad and beforehand!