Frequently Asked Questions

You have two options. You can either:

1) Take a long-term university preparation programme, lasting either 1 or 1.5 years, where you will learn general Russian and specific Russian for your future degree. You will also prepare for a Russian language exam, which once passed, will permit you to take a degree in Russian in Russia.

2) You can apply for one of the degree programmes taught in English at Kazan Federal University, Petrozavodsk State University or St Petersburg Polytechnic University.

The majority of our students prefer to take a Russian language preparation course which helps them to polish their Russian so it becomes of university standard. Then, students can either apply to the university where they took their language preparation course, or to any other university in Russia.

Should you wish to apply directly, we can recommend Kazan Federal University, which teaches Bachelor’s, Master’s and PhD degrees both in Russian and English. Contact us for information on entry requirements.

Firstly, you will need an original copy of your Letter of Invitation which is issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation. Your chosen university/language school will send it to you. Alternatively, if you are a student from the EU (except for UK) who plans to study in Russia for 3 months or less, a Confirmation Letter from the university/school you have applied to will be sufficient. You will then prepare your visa application form and other documents required by the Russian Embassy. The exact documents required depend on your nationality. With the Letter of Invitation, application form and required documents you can apply for your visa. As a rule, it takes about 2 weeks for your visa application to be processed. We recommend that you apply for your visa well in advance of your trip.

For more information, please read the section of our website dedicated to Visas and Application Guidance.

If you need full assistance with your visa application, then we recommend using the Russian National Tourist Office which has offices in London and Edinburgh. EBC Consultancy clients will receive a discount on their services. For more information about this, please get in touch:

You should have ready your visa, passport and any other necessary documents (such as: travel insurance, HIV test certificate etc.). Before approaching the border officer, you should also fill in a migration card which will be handed out to you on the plane. (You can also acquire one by the passport control area of the airport). Please read this link for detailed information about what to expect at the border and how to fill-in the migration card: Please refer to this link for an example of a migration card:

Yes, the university representatives can meet you at the airport or railway station. You can book a one-way transfer or return if required

In order to arrange this, you must send us your arrival time and flight/train number no fewer than 4 days prior to your arrival. For information about the fees, please get in touch with the EBC team.

Please bring your passport, your migration card (which is given to you by passport control upon arriving in the Russian Federation) and passport photos. In some cases, you may also need photocopies of your passport as well as medical certificates. Before applying for your visa, please make a copy of all your medical certificates as they may not be given back to you by the visa centre.

No, it is not. When completing the application form, you can indicate how long you have been studying Russian. Even if you are a complete beginner, you will be accepted onto a course since there are courses specifically designed for people like you.

On your first day, you will need to take a test to discern your level of Russian. According to your result, you will be placed in a group of your level.

You should have a pen, notebook and dictionary.

Whatever city you have chosen to study in, there will be plenty of things to do. When you arrive, the school representatives will be happy to help you choose and book excursions for you. You should allocate some of your budget for excursions, and keep in mind that some of them may be expensive.

Yes, you will. It will say what course you did, the dates, where you took the course and any other relevant information.

There are two options concerning study-groups.

1) If you have the same level of Russian, then you will likely be put in the same study-group.

2) You can request to be in a closed group (no one else can join your group). However, we would need to know about this at the stage of submitting your application. Also, please note, the fees can be higher.

In regards to accommodation, if you are renting an appartment, it is possible to live with your friends. There are also certain host families that will accept more than one student but this depends on each case. In addition, you can arrange to live with friends in a student dorm (some dorms have twin rooms), but this depends on the type of dorm you choose. If you require more information about a specific situation, please get in touch and we will get more information for you.

It depends what school/university and type of accommodation you will choose. Almost all providers have the option to stay at a host-family and/or dormitory. Here’s a brief table to outline the advantages and disadvantages of each:


Host Family Dormitory/hostel
Private room in the family’s home Depending on the provider, you might have a whole room
for yourself or you might have to share your room with
up to 2 others.
Breakfast is usually included in the price of the accommodation There’re no meals included for this option, you will
have facilities where you’ll be able to cook and store
Constant practice of Russian with the family You will most likely be amongst other international students who
you might talk Russian with or you might not.
There will be house rules, which you will have
to abide by. (For example, you might have to
ask for permission to have friends visit).
You will be free to arrange your day as you wish- a lot less strict.
The host family will become your
adoptive family whilst in Russia and they
will care about you and your well-being
You will be your own free agent. This is a good option for those who want to live independently.


Please contact us for more information about accommodation available at each school/university.

You will be placed in a study group according to your Russian level with students from all over the world. For example, every year students of 90 different nationalities study at St Petersburg State University. Generally, there is a very good mix of nationalities in the summer courses as they are more popular.

The best site for booking train and flights is: The Russian national railway website works well too:

This depends on your country of origin and the duration you wish to stay in Russia. If you are looking to spend more than 3 months, you will initially be issued with a single-entry visa which you will then extend during your first month in Russia. When you receive your extended visa, you will also notice that it is multi-entry.

EBC Consultancy does not usually help organize health and/or travel insurance, therefore you are advised to purchase your own prior to leaving for your study destination. Some of the universities and schools offer medical insurance which can be purchased upon arrival, but please check with us first.

There are many different private medical clinics in all the above cities where you can find English-speaking doctors and staff. In St Petersburg, we recommend you go to Euromed which is located on Suvorovskiy pr., 60, St Petersburg, 191124.

There is a number of websites where you can check what is happening in your city. Have a look at Time Out, KudaGo and Afisha. We would also recommend creating a profile on VK, the Russian version of Facebook, as it has all sorts of groups where you can find information on what to do in Moscow, St Petersburg and other cities.

Can’t Find An Answer?